- Meeting schedule
- Registration and identification badges
- Visa requirements
- Health and vaccination
- Foreign currency declaration
- Airline reservations
- Hotel accommodation
- Payment of hotel accounts
- Protocol arrangements
- Transport from and to Airport
- Transport to attend meetings
- Internet services
- Catering services
- Meeting documents/paper smart meeting
- Social events
- Library facilities
- Banking facilities
- Postal services
- Souvenir shop
- Travel agent
1. The seventy-second session of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Commission session is scheduled to be held from 15 to 19 May 2016 at the United Nations Conference Centre (UNCC) in Bangkok.
II. Meeting schedule
2. The tentative meeting schedule for the seventy-second session can be accessed at http://www.unescap.org/commission/timetable
3. Members of delegations are kindly requested to bring their official credentials with them, duly signed by the appropriate authorities of their respective Governments/agencies/organizations, and provide them to the secretariat staff at the registration counter located on the ground floor of the UNCC.
IV. Registration and identification badges
4. Participants are requested to register online at http://meetings.unescap.org well in advance, but no later than 15 April 2016 to facilitate smooth coordination of the issuance of name badges and compilation of the list of participants. Furthermore, please kindly note that registering online prior to the meeting is mandatory in accordance with standard United Nations security procedures to facilitate security clearance and entrance to the premises.
5. A document containing tips on completing the online registration on behalf of another person can be accessed from the website http://meetings.unescap.org/registration-guide.html
6. Once participants have registered on-line, they are requested to obtain meeting badges at the registration counter located on the ground floor of the UNCC. Badges may be picked up starting on Friday, 13 May 2016 from 09:00 hours to 17:00 hours. Participants who have not registered prior to arrival will be requested to complete a registration form before being allowed to proceed to the conference room. Only the names of participants who are duly credentialed and who have registered online will be included in the list of participants.
7. For identification and security reasons, all participants are requested to wear their meeting badges at all times during meetings, social functions and in the United Nations complex. The loss of a meeting badge should be immediately communicated to the Conference Management Unit located on the ground floor of the UNCC, so that a new one can be issued.
V. Visa requirements
8. Participants are REQUIRED to obtain an appropriate entry visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General before entering Thailand, EXCEPT for nationals of the countries and territories listed below.
9. The information provided below is accurate as of October 2015. All participants are advised to consult with the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate in their respective countries regarding the latest applicable immigration requirements prior to their departure to Thailand.
List of countries and territories entitled for visa exemption and visa on arrival (ORDINARY PASSPORT)
A. Visa exemption for a maximum of 14 days
- Myanmar (International Airports only)
B. Visa exemption for a maximum of 30 days
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong, China
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Macao, China
- New Zealand
- Russian Federation
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
C. Visa exemption for a maximum of 90 days
- Republic of Korea
List of countries and territories entitled for visa exemption and visa on arrival (DIPLOMATIC/OFFICIAL PASSPORT)
A. Visa exemption for a maximum of 30 days
- Brunei Darussalam
- Hong Kong, China
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Macao, China
- Pakistan (Diplomatic Passports only)
B. Visa exemption for a maximum of 90 days
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Estonia (Diplomatic Passport only)
- France (Diplomatic Passport only)
- Montegnegro (as of 31st Oct 2015)
- Republic of Korea
- Russian Federation
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- Spain (Diplomatic Passport only)
- Sri Lanka
C. Visa on arrival for a maximum of 15-day stay
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
10. Participants holding United Nations Laissez-Passers (UNLP) travelling on official business to Thailand are REQUIRED to obtain an appropriate visa before departing to Thailand.
11. To apply for an appropriate entry visa to Thailand, participants are required to contact the respective Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General for accurate information regarding the visa application procedures and required documents. The list of Royal Thai Embassies/Consulate-Generals can be found at www.thaiembassy.org.
12. Participants who may wish to apply for a visa outside their country of residence, or that reside in a country where there is no Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate, should check the location where it is possible for them to apply for a Thai visa. Please note that certain nationalities, for security reasons, are not allowed to apply for a visa except at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate-General which has jurisdiction over its territory. For more information, please contact Visa and Shipping Unit, Division of Administration, UNESCAP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Participants who may need further assistance from UNESCAP as regards to their visa application should contact Visa and Shipping Unit, Division of Administration, UNESCAP at email@example.com.
14. Participants who wish to apply for a visa on arrival at Suvarnabhumi International Airport should follow the requirements below:
- The applicant must possess a passport with a validity of at least six months and must be in possession of a valid return ticket with date of departure within 15 days of the date of entry;
- The applicant must fill out an application form, which is available at the Visa-on-Arrival counter at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, supply one recent passport-sized photograph and a fee of Baht 1,000.
15. Furthermore, in line with security procedure for United Nations staff, travel notification through the Travel Request Information Process (TRIP) is required prior to any official travel to a non-phase area. Upon notification of travel on TRIP, United Nations staff members will automatically receive an updated security advice for United Nations visitors to Thailand. Please visit https://dss.un.org to apply for this travel notification. United Nations staff are required to complete the “BASIC SECURITY IN THE FIELD” training before travelling.
16. The weather in Bangkok is usually warm and humid. Light tropical clothing would be appropriate. The conference rooms where the meetings are to be held are air-conditioned and the temperature is maintained in the range of 23-24 degrees Celsius (73-75 degrees Fahrenheit).
VII. Health and vaccination
17. Upon arrival at the port of entry in Thailand, participants who are the nationals of or have traveled from/through countries listed below which have been declared Yellow Fever infected areas must provide an International Health Certificate proving that they have received a valid Yellow Fever vaccination at the Health Control Office upon arrival before proceeding to immigration. A valid vaccination certificate means that the vaccine was administered at least 10 days prior to travel to the affected country. The International Health Certificate must also be submitted together with the visa application form.
18. The countries/areas listed below have been declared yellow fever infected areas:
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Republic of Congo
- Côte d’Ivoire
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- French Guiana
- Guinea Bissau
- Sao Tome & Principe
- Sierra Leone
- Trinidad & Tobago
19. Thailand is currently experiencing ongoing sporadic transmission of the mosquito-borne Zika virus. All travelers are advised to protect themselves from mosquito bites while in Thailand. Given possible transmission of the disease to unborn babies, pregnant women should consider postponing travel to Thailand or talk to their doctor about the implications of traveling to Thailand during this time.
20. In addition to the above, Medical Services Division at HQ advises that pregnant UN Personnel should not undertake duty travel or be relocated to countries/areas where local transmission of Zika virus is known to occur. Women who are seeking pregnancy should obtain individual advice from their medical practitioner on risk management regarding their plans to travel into a Zika-affected area. For further information, please read the attached Zika virus FAQ.
21. First-aid and emergency medical service is available at the Medical Centre, which is located on the ground floor of the UNCC, during weekdays. The ESCAP Medical Officer and Nurse are available from 0730 to 1545 hours, with the exception of lunch time from 1200 to 1245 hours. Appointments may be made through extensions 1352 or 1761.
22. The United Nations buildings are smoke-free areas. Smoking is permitted only in the designated areas outside of the buildings.
VIII. Foreign currency declaration
23. Any person who carries an aggregate amount of foreign currency exceeding US$20,000 or its equivalent into or out of the Kingdom of Thailand shall declare such amount of foreign currency to a Customs Official. Failure to make such a declaration or making any false declaration to a Customs official is a criminal offence.
IX. Airline reservations
24. Many international airlines operate regular services to and from Bangkok. Participants are advised to secure their return bookings prior to their departure for Bangkok. If this is not possible, they should make firm return bookings immediately upon arrival in Bangkok. Travel services are available through the American Express office located on the ground floor of the Secretariat Building.
X. Hotel accommodation
25. The following hotels, located relatively close to ESCAP, have been designated as recommended hotels for which the room rates indicated below are inclusive of service charge and value added tax.
26. Participants are responsible for booking their own rooms and are requested to contact the hotel directly at least 10 working days in advance to provide the participant’s full name, date and time of check-in and check-out, flight numbers and contact details.
27. All rooms block-booked will be available to participants on a first-come, first-served basis. Any cancellations, postponements or other changes should be notified at least 48 hours in advance. Rooms not occupied in accordance with the latest advice will be held for 24 hours at the participant’s expense and then released.
28. In the event that accommodation at any of the listed hotels is not available, the participants will be advised by the respective hotel. The secretariat will make every effort to arrange for suitable alternative accommodation, if requested.
29. The information below is provided for the convenience of the participants. While efforts have been made to ensure that the information is as accurate as possible, ESCAP makes no guarantee, either expressed or implied, as to the exactness of the hotel information or availability of rooms at the rates listed.
30. The rates provided in the table are accurate as of December 2015 and subject to change without notice. Please confirm the room rates directly with the hotel.
|Name and address||Driving distance
|Room type||Daily room rates
|Shangri-La Hotel *****
89 Soi Wat Suan Plu, New Road,
Ms. Thiptera Tanthasri
|30-40s||Deluxe Room||3,600 a/c||4,100 a/c|
|The Sukosol *****
477 Si Ayuthaya Road, Phayathai,
Ms. Ratchaneekrit Khankath
|15-25||Deluxe||2,700 a/c||2,900 a/c|
|Amari Watergate Hotel & Spa *****
847 Petchaburi Road,
Ms. Sutrapat Kumwan
|20-30||Deluxe||3,000 a/b/c||3,200 a/b/c|
|Pullman Hotel and Resort *****
8 Rangnam Road, Kweag Thanon-Phayathai, Rachathewi,
Ms. Orawan Sermchaisrikul
|Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel *****
155 Rajadamri Road,
Ms. Sarochinee Napapong
|30||Deluxe||3,900 a/c||4,600 a/c|
|Crowne Plaza Bangkok *****
Lumpini Park Hotel,
952 Rama 4 Road,
Ms. Chalita Chokvanit
|30||Superior||3,700 a/c||3,700 a/c|
|Novotel Siam Hotel ****
392/44 Siam Square Soi 6, Rama 1 Road Pathumwan,
Ms. Jarunun Sripromma
Executive Premier Floor
|3,414 net a/c
4,002 net a/c
5,179 net a/c
|Royal Princess Larn Luang Hotel ****
269 Larnluang Road,
Ms. Benjarat Rusakul
|Grand China Hotel ****
215 Yaowarat Road,
Tel: +66.2.2249977, +66.2.2247997
Ms. Phet-Anong Naksuthi
|15-20||Deluxe||2,500 a/b/c||2,700 a/b/c|
|Prince Palace Hotel ****
488/800 Bo Bea Tower,
Damrongrak Road, Klong Mahanak,
Ms. Wannajit Chulamakorn
|10-15||Superior||1,700 a/b||1,900 a/b|
|Siam @ Siam Design Hotel & Spa ****
865 Rama 1 Road,
Ms. Natkhanit Chirawacharanant
|15-20||Superior||3,200 a/c||3,500 a/c|
|Nouvo City Hotel ****
2 Samsen 2, Samsen Road,
Tel: +66.2.2827500 Ext. 0110
Mr. Adam Phadungsilp
|Riva Surya – Bangkok ****
23 Phra Arthit Road,
Ms. Thannaree Ketkaew
|Trang Hotel ***
99/1 Wisutkasat Road,
Ms. Thongtem Lerknawapairoj
|Hotel Dé Moc (former Thai Hotel) ***
78 Prajatipatai Road,
Ms. Chalita Sombutboon
*. Driving distance (in minutes) is dependent on local road conditions and the information presented here should only be used as indicative.
a. Inclusive of daily American breakfast, service charge and government tax.
b. Complimentary transport services provided according to fixed schedules, from the hotel to UNCC in the morning and back to the hotel in the evening. (Note: Hotel Dé Moc and Trang Hotel have one-way transfer from hotel to UNCC.)
c. Free Internet Access.
XI. Payment of hotel accounts
31. Before departure from Bangkok, participants should settle directly with the respective hotels all accounts, including room charges and other expenses, such as for local and long-distance telephone calls, Internet use, business center use, laundry, room and hotel transportation services, mini-bar items, as well as restaurant and bar services. Participants are also responsible for any charges incurred with respect to rooms remaining vacant owing to late arrival or rescheduled departure for which inadequate prior notice is given.
XII. Protocol arrangements
32. In order for the secretariat to provide proper protocol arrangements for participating heads of delegation at the ministerial level and above, ESCAP would appreciate receiving information on their arrival and departure flight details at least two weeks in advance of their arrival in Bangkok.
33. The flight details of participants at the ministerial level and above should be communicated to:
Fax: +66 2 288-3029
34. Any subsequent changes should be communicated to the secretariat as soon as possible.
35. Arrival information should be provided in addition to any official notification sent by Governments and organizations to the Executive Secretary of ESCAP concerning the composition of delegations.
XIII. Transport from and to Airport
36. Participants should make their own transportation arrangements from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to their respective hotels. Limousine, metered-taxi and bus services are readily available at the airport. Detailed information about Suvarnabhumi International Airport can be found at http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com
37. To avail themselves of the limousines and public metered-taxis services, it is strongly recommended that participants contact only the authorized officials at the counters located in the airport arrival zone. The officials, upon contact, will issue a ticket for the assignment of either a limousine or a public metered-taxi for transporting passengers to the desired destination. In addition to toll fees, there is a surcharge to be added to the meter charge from airport to the city. Please refer to the airport website noted above for details.
XIV. Transport to attend meetings
38. Participants should make their own transport arrangements to and from the UNCC. Metered-taxis are readily available in the city.
39. Many hotels close to the United Nations building generally provide complimentary transport, according to fixed schedules, to and from UNCC.
XV. Internet services
40. Free wireless internet access is available in all conference and meeting rooms and in the public areas of the UNCC.
41. An accessibility centre, equipped with a number of assistive devices to facilitate the participation of persons with disabilities in meetings, is located on level 1 of the UNCC next to the cafeteria.
42. Equipment and technologies available at the centre include screen readers, reading enlargers, braille information instruments, braille priners, DAISY players, mobile controllers, specialized mouse devices, barcode readers, wheelchairs, touch monitors and audio amplifiers.
43. For more information or specific accessibility requirements, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
XVII. Catering services
44. Catering services are available at the following locations during the Commission Session:
- Rajapruek Lounge, located on the ground floor of the UNCC, is open from 07:00 to 17:00 hours on Monday through Thursday.
- Cafeteria, located on level 1 of the UNCC, is open from 11:00 to 14:00 hours for lunch on Sunday through Thursday.
- Coffee Corner, which serves sandwiches, pastries, coffee, tea and soft drinks, is located on level 1 of the UNCC, is open from 07:00 to 17:00 hours on Sunday through Thursday.
- Canteen, located on the ground floor of the Service Building, is open from 07:00 to 13:00 hours on Monday through Thursday.
45. Mail intended for participants during the session should be addressed as follows:
(Name of delegate)
c/o ESCAP Secretariat
United Nations Building
Rajdamnern Nok Avenue
Fax: +66.2.2883022, +66.2.2881000
E-mail address: email@example.com
XIX. Meeting documents/paper smart meeting
46. As part of the efforts by the Commission to reduce the amount of paper used in conjunction with its sessions, only one printed set of documents will be distributed to each member and associate member delegation. This set will be printed on demand. Delegates are requested to contact the Document Distribution Centre (the pigeon holes), located next to Conference Room 1 on level 2 of UNCC, to request their printed copy. Participants are requested to bring with them any additional copies they may require at the meeting.
47. All pre-session documents will be made available in the four official languages as they are issued at http://www.unescap.org/commission
48. Touch screen kiosks containing the programme, order of the day, list of participants and other related information will be placed at various locations around the UNCC.
49. Documents for circulation or distribution at the Commission session should be handed to Mr. Mitchell Hsieh, Secretary of the Commission, a.i. (email: firstname.lastname@example.org), Office of the Executive Secretary, 15th Floor, Block A, United Nations Building. Prior notification of such a request would be greatly appreciated. In accordance with United Nations regulations for the control and limitation of documentation, the secretariat cannot undertake to process and/or reproduce documents or statements submitted by individual delegations unless the Commission specifically takes a decision to that effect and accepts the financial implications thereof.
XX. Social events
50. Delegations wishing to host cocktail receptions, luncheons, dinners or refreshment breaks are invited to give prior notice to the Secretary of the Commission in order to facilitate the coordination and notification of events by the secretariat.
XXI. Library facilities
51. ESCAP Library facilities are available on the first floor, Service Building from 07:30 to 16:00 hours, Monday through Friday. For details on the use of the ESCAP Library facilities, please consult the staff on duty or call extensions 1329 and 1360. Further information about the ESCAP Library can be found at http://www.unescap.org/library.
XXII. Banking facilities
52. Banking services are available at the Siam Commercial Bank, United Nations Branch, located on the first floor of the Service Building, from 08:30 to 15:30 hours during weekdays. (telephone extension 2168).
53. Kindly note that the bank remains closed on official Thai holidays.
54. Currency exchange facilities are available at hotels and all over Bangkok. Such services are also available at the Siam Commercial Bank.
XXIII. Postal services
55. Postal services are available at the Post Office, United Nations Branch, located on the ground floor of UNCC. It is open from 08:00 to 16:00 hours, Monday through Friday. The Post Office can be contacted at extensions 1260 and 2911.
XXIV. Souvenir shop
56. The souvenir shop is located on the first floor of UNCC.
XXV. Travel agent
57. The American Express Travel office is located on the ground floor of the Secretariat Building and open weekdays from 08:00 to 17:00 hours. The office can be contacted at extensions 2820, 2821, 2822 and 2823.